Christmas Countdown: 6 Days Till Christmas
One of my favourite things to do every Christmas is to make Christmas-themed biscuits and this year was no different. Using Christmas-themed biscuit cutters, I decided to make ginger biscuits to celebrate the holidays since I associate ginger with this time of year. Unfortunately the cookies did not end up looking like the header image since my decorating skills are that of a young child but at least they tasted good! Tag me on Instagram if you decide to make these yourself.
- 350g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Break the egg into a small bowl. Add the syrup to the egg then beat them together.
- Stir the eggy mixture into the flour. Mix everything together with a metal spoon until it becomes a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with flour and put the dough onto it. Stretch the dough by pushing it away from you.
- Sprinkle more flour onto the surface and roll the dough out until it is 5mm thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes in the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Leave to cool before decorating.